What to know before investing in professional photos for your business
So you’re thinking of hiring a photographer to create photos for you to use in your business? Yes!! That’s exciting. Imagine all the different, custom photos that you will have to fill up your social media feed, and to use throughout your marketing.
Before you contact photographers to get quotes please keep reading, so you know the right questions to ask, and details to consider before making the investment…
The first question you should ask is…
- How many photos are included in the package?
Sometimes the answer is “none”.
Woah … what a sec, you might be thinking: so I’m paying you for a photoshoot and that price doesn’t even include any photos? (or the price only includes 2 photos, for example)
In the photo industry, photographers are taught to offer “in person sales”. This means that you pay a small fee for the photoshoot, then you meet with the photographer after the photo session and at that time, you choose the images that you want to buy.
This can be a fantastic option if you’re not ready to commit to a big price tag before your photoshoot. But at the end of the day, if you want more than “a few” final retouched images, you’re going to pay a significant amount.
Other photographers pre-sell a photoshoot package (I fall into this category). This option allows you to pay up front and you will receive a large number of images which will be retouched and ready to use.
There is no “right” way of purchasing a photoshoot package, but the first option can be tricky and often mis-leading … so ask your photographer up front: “how many photos are included in this package and what will it cost for me to purchase more?”
Here are more specific questions to ask your photographer before hiring them for a branding photoshoot:
- Do I get high resolution digital files?
- Do I have the rights to use these images or do I need to pay a licensing fee?
- Is hair and makeup included in your package?
- What is your process for planning the photoshoot and delivering the photos?
- Am I responsible for finding locations and covering the cost of the location fee?
- Will you help me determine what photos I need to tell my brand story?
- Do I have to pay extra to have my photos retouched?
Regardless of what photographer you choose, I want you to be empowered to ask the right questions so you get a photoshoot that’s perfect for you.
Are you ready to elevate your brand? Contact me!